The Neurotic Monkey's Guide to Survival

"These STILL aren't my pants!"

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Holy Shit! - Christmas Miracles Really DO Happen!

Omigod!

This bit of news had me light up like Marsha Brady when Davey Jones came to her prom!

Brian K. Vaughan is joining the writing staff of Lost!

This is like the time I got peanut butter in my chocolate! Two great (well, at least one great and one used to be great but has turned into kind of a cocktease) tastes that taste great together!

For those not in the know, i.e. people who don't read comics and/or graphic novels and instead get laid (freaks!), Brian K. Vaughan is probably the greatest writer working in comics today (alongside Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman, in my humblest of opinions). He has created the following gems:

Each is a brilliant slice of high concept that is delivered through some truly excellent characterization and dialogue. Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina are both headed to movies (once their series wraps up), Runaways is about to be taken over by the ingenius Joss Whedon, and Pride of Baghdad is destined to become a traumatic animated tale of our current war in Iraq, if there is any justice in this world.

But now BKV is joining the writing staff of the middling Lost! Perhaps he can lift the characterizations, dialogue, and twists above the muck and mire of mere stereotypes and cliches! Here's what the Man had to say on his own blog:

"Sorry I've been so coy about these rumors, but I always like to wait until the contracts have been signed and the "first trimester" has been survived until I talk about stuff.

But yes, inexplicably, I've been hired as an Executive Story Editor by the fantastic television show LOST. As I'm neither an executive nor an editor, this is really just a fancy Hollywood way of saying that I've joined the writing staff.

I can't talk about much more than that, so I implore you to please stop asking me what the island is, who the Others are, how Matthew Fox smells, etc. Still, I will say that I'm insanely honored to join such an amazing group of writers (some of their new scripts I've been lucky enough to read are destined to become the best episodes of the series), and I'm very grateful to Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse for having so much faith in me.

And no, I'm absolutely not leaving comics. There are a lot of Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina fans at the show, so everyone has been great about leaving me just enough time to work on those books, and even some new ones, including an upcoming four-issue stint on that Runaways guy Joss Whedon's "eighth season" of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER over at Dark Horse. Stay tuned for news on the all-important creator-owned front, as well.

I've learned more about the creative process in two weeks inside the Lost writers' room than I did in four (very rewarding) years at NYU's film school, so hopefully, this new challenge will push me to become a stronger writer and help my work to evolve.

Mostly, I just don't want to screw up a show that I love."

YAY!

Also, now's a great time to get into Y: The Last Man. The series will end with Issue #60 (Vaughan is all about having a set number of issues for each of his stories, something I hope he brings to Lost), and it is currently on Issue # 52 (just hit comic stores yesterday!). There are 8 trade paperbacks out right now (all available here), and each one is a great read filled with awesome set pieces and amazing characters. So check it out.

Excelsior!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home