The Neurotic Monkey's Guide to Survival

"These STILL aren't my pants!"

Friday, October 22, 2004

Borrowed Wisdom

I've got plenty of other rants to post, including one about the popularity of the Red Sox (Go Sox!), but before that, here's a list of excellent quotes beginning with my rationale behind them, as found in American History X (yes, I'm using a quote to show why I'm doing quotes...how very meta of me...it makes me sick):

"Derek says it's always good to end a paper with a quote. He says someone else has already said it best. So if you can't top it, steal from them and go out strong."

Without Further Ado...SOME WORDS OF WISDOM:

Remember when we were young: we looked forward to things. I can't WAIT to drive. I can't WAIT to get a boyfriend. I can't WAIT to graduate. Etc., Etc.
Now it's remember how great high school was. Or nothing compares to the feeling of first love. Life was so much better back when we were young.
Somewhere between anticipation and nostalgia we should have been happy.
--Too Much Coffee Man's Parade of Tirade by Shannon Wheeler

"A pirate's work is never done..." Fluke by Christopher Moore

"You are your only master
Who Else?
Subdue Yourself
Find Your Master"
-- Buddha

"KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Andrew Largeman: You know that point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of the sudden even though you have some place where you can put your stuff that idea of home is gone.
Sam: I still feel at home in my house.
Andrew Largeman: You'll see when you move out it just sort of happens one day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this right of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is: A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.
-- Garden State

In the din of fireworks and native drums, of colored lights in the doorways and the clamor of the crowd yearning for peace, Florentino Ariza wandered like a sleepwalker until dawn, watching the fiesta through his tears, dazed by the hallucination that it was he and not God who had been born that night.
-- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

“Salvation is for the feeble, that’s what I think. I don’t want salvation, I want life, all of life, the miserable as well as the superb. If the gods would tax ecstasy, then I shall pay; however, I shall protest their taxes at each opportunity, and if Woden or Shiva or Buddha or that Christian fellow--what’s his name?--cannot respect that, then I’ll accept their wrath. At least I will have tasted the banquet that they have spread before me on this rich, round planet, rather than recoiling from it like a toothless bunny. I cannot believe that the most delicious things were placed here merely to test us, to tempt us, to make it the more difficult for us to capture the grand prize: the safety of the void. To fashion of life such a petty game is unworthy of both men and gods.”
-- Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

…I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
-- On the Road by Jack Kerouac

every man is guilty of the good he didn’t do. -- voltaire

And Lastly Here's a Great Poem by Robert Service, a guy famous for funny little poems about oddballs in the Yukon:

The Men That Don't Fit In
by Robert Service

There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood,
And they climb the mountain's crest;
Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest.

If they just went straight they might go far;
They are strong and brave and true;
But they're always tired of the things that are,
And they want the strange and new.
They say: "Could I find my proper groove,
What a deep mark I would make!"
So they chop and change, and each fresh move
Is only a fresh mistake.

And each forgets, as he strips and runs
With a brilliant, fitful pace,
It's the steady, quiet, plodding ones
Who win in the lifelong race.
And each forgets that his youth has fled,
Forgets that his prime is past,
Till he stands one day, with a hope that's dead,
In the glare of the truth at last.

He has failed, he has failed; he has missed his chance;
He has just done things by half.
Life's been a jolly good joke on him,
And now is the time to laugh.
Ha, ha! He is one of the Legion Lost;
He was never meant to win;
He's a rolling stone, and it's bred in the bone;
He's a man who won't fit in.


That's all for now. Enjoy!

Listening to: "Revv Me Up" by Jasper McVain (found at www.venturebrothers.com), the I Heart Huckabees Soundtrack (especially "Knock Yourself Out" by Jon Brion), Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, Has Been by William Shatner

Watching: Arrested Development Season 1, Team America: World Police, Shaun of the Dead, Hellboy: Director's Cut, Lost, The Venture Brothers, Scrubs, Playoff Baseball, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Jon Stewart Flipping Out All Over Tucker Carlson's Bow-Tied Ass

Reading: Little Children by Tom Perrota, Sex Lives of Cannibals by Maarten Troost, Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans: Best of McSweeney's Humor edited by Dave Eggers, et al.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home