The Neurotic Monkey's Guide to Survival

"These STILL aren't my pants!"

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Can you answer? Yes, I can. But what will be the answer to the Answer Man?

The gauntlet has been thrown. A challenge has been given, and I intend to answer it -- with vigor. Over at Sex Scenes at Starbucks, Sex has issued mulitple questions to a bunch of us, myself included. Well, here are the questions and the answers, enjoy!

1. Want to write a book? If so, fiction or non? Story-based or theme-based?

If that's an offer I completely and totally accept. Yes, I would love to write a book. I once wrote about 58 pages of one when I was a senior in high school before it was wiped out completely due to a mismanagement of back up copies and Computer Virus. But yeah, as probably can be gleamed by my verbose style and tendency to take shiite on me blog a lil too seriously, I want to be a writer. Besides all of the fantastic jobs of Superhero, Time Traveler, and Spy, writer was one of the earliest jobs I always wanted. Well, first was Marine Biologist, but that's just cuz I was fascinated by whales and sharks. And then I realized me noggin's not made for the sciences, so I drifted towards writing. Now I want to be more of a screenwriter with some dabbling in print. I know at this point I need to excise the phrase "When I grow up..." from my daily usage, and I'm working on it. I lean more towards fiction, but I do enjoy the non-fictional personal essay (found in the work of Vowell, Sedaris, Rakoff, and Augusten Burroughs). When writing fiction, I tend to concentrate more on narrative, and then I decide on what the overall theme will be. Or I first depict a scene or a character in my head and go from there. Riveting stuff, this writer talk. As of now, I'm mainly concentrating on short films and also on small personal essays, and I'm trying to get funding to start a nonfiction book about the American Nerd experience and how it's slowly hijacking pop culture. Glayven!


2. How much money would it take for you to not work, and how would you fill your time?

Is that a question about my daily budget or something? Um...do you mean "if you won the lottery" type situation? It wouldn't be much. I just need a place to stay, food, and enough to support my addiction to music, movies, and books. I would fill my time by traveling and writing. I guess in my head, I never consider writing as work. My philosophy says that if I can do it in my boxers while smoking a cigarette or enjoy a drink, then it's not really work.

3. Or, could you not work? What would you do instead?

I would roam the earth, solving problems for folk. I really would love to travel. Or get a job working on a trawler for a few weeks. Something like that. I need something to occupy my time.

4. What is your most compulsive habit?

Aside from masturbation and cigarettes (both of which I've pretty much kicked by now...or at least are so infrequently done that it's not a habit anymore), I would say either rolling my eyes or swearing.

I tend to roll my eyes when I talk, especially when I'm answering a question. It's an odd compulsive tic that I don't even know is happening. It usually means people think I'm being dismissive and pretentious -- which I am anyways, but still they don't have to think that. But yeah, I do it all the time. It kinda looks like I'm about to enter into a seizure, but only once I'm done proving my point. A conscientious seizure.

And I cuss like it's going out of style. Seriously, I sound like a kid with tourrettes. I just love the way swears sound. FUCK. CUNT. COCK. DOUCHEBAG. Well the last two aren't swears, but you get the idea. I try and curb it as much as possible, but I love the swearin'!

5. What is your most facinating pastime and how much do you partake?

I really don't even know what a pasttime is. I assume it's a conlfation of the phrase "Pass the Time", and then it was coopted by baseball so people wouldn't notice all of the racism and whoremongering that was going on. My most interesting ones are kayaking and frisbee golf ("frolf" to the uninitiated). Not that interesting. I tried thinking of others, but I'm not sure exactly what constitutes a "pasttime". That's kinda where being slightly schizophrenic comes in -- you make your own fun. The world is boring, but my head there's always something goin on. I usually only do the first two when it's warm outside, and even then not terribly frequently.

So there. Any other bloggers out there want some questions? Then just post a comment and I shall ask away. Keep it real, G.

7 Comments:

Blogger thtgrl said...

Hey there, I've already done the question thing, so I'm sorry I'm not volunteering. You had good answers! I'm glad to hear someone else besides me likes frisbee golf (although I suck at it)!

9:15 PM  
Blogger ssas said...

Frisbee golf is popular out here too.

Cool answers. The book one was pure facetiousness - I recognise a fellow novelist when I see one! Can't shut up to save our lives, can we?

Heh. Writing the book is the easy part. Now selling the damn thing... that's another story.

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want you to know I made a scene at work today laughing about the eye rolling thing, I knew you actually WERE being pretentious

you bastard

11:35 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

Name calling. Yea! I love it.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Linds said...

It's always good to be a vigorous man.

Hrm... Maybe I'm going off in a totally different direction.

I do the eye rolling thing too.

2:12 AM  
Blogger The Neurotic Monkey said...

...I've always wanted to make a movie where a band of kids are playing frisbee golf and must suffer the slings and arrows of Hippies. I just like the idea of the ultimate Villains being white guys w/dreadlocks. I mean, honestly, people...that's just retarded.

And as for you, Agent Ichi: not every time I roll my eyes I'm being pretentious. Most of the time that I'm being a pompous ass is when I'm not rolling my eyes.

And Hello, new Linds! G'luck on the whole "flashing boobies for a cure" thang. Keep me updated.

New favorite quote: In "Bad News Bears", while Tanner is getting beat up after throwing a burrito into the face of one of the Yankees:
"And you owe me 30 cents for the burrito!"

Fantabulous!

3:22 AM  
Blogger Price of Silence said...

An anthology about nerds--I'll buy it!

Ask me some questions, but not quite as serious as the ones Sex asked.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home