The Neurotic Monkey's Guide to Survival

"These STILL aren't my pants!"

Friday, January 05, 2007

Lesley Grapka 1981-2007

Two poems for a departed friend. It's been kind of a fucked up week:

Sleeping at last

Sleeping at last, the trouble and tumult over,
Sleeping at last, the struggle and horror past,
Cold and white, out of sight of friend and of lover,
Sleeping at last.

No more a tired heart downcast or overcast,
No more pangs that wring or shifting fears that hover,
Sleeping at last in a dreamless sleep locked fast.

Fast asleep. Singing birds in their leafy cover
Cannot wake her, nor shake her the gusty blast.
Under the purple thyme and the purple clover
Sleeping at last.

Christina Georgina Rossetti
_________________________________________
The Old Men Admiring Themselves in the Water

I HEARD the old, old men say,
"Everything alters,
And one by one we drop away."
They had hands like claws, and their knees
Were twisted like the old thorn trees
By the waters.
I heard the old, old men say,
"All that's beautiful drifts away
Like the waters."

William Butler Yeats

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Jordan. I was out of the country when it happened. I just found out this morning. I'd really appreciate if you'd email me with your phone number at jordanlhill@hotmail.com

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, im a friend of Lesleys, she helped me through a rough spot... but not as rough as this.. i want to paint her again, i have one painting with her in it.. if you have or know of someone who has her image, i could use it...
much thanks..
peace to you
barb
celestemoon@gmail.com

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Lesley's Dad - sitting up alone at night wishing and missing . . . I have her image in numerous photos and I would be very happy to loan you any of mine. my email is davidgrapka@earthlink.net. If any of you would like to write or call me with any memories you have of Lesley, her mom and I would be most appreciative - memories are all we have. I am also happy to share my memories and stories about the day we had the "calling hours" at the funeral home, the celebrations afterwards in three different locations . . . any questions you have about anything about my "little girl," let me know. I miss her more than anything. You can email me for the phone # if you want to. Also, you can type in her name at legacy.com and read what her friends and family have said about her. Those words have kept us in smiles and good tears . . .
. . . thank you, friends of Lesley's.
Dad

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was friends with Lesley at Vassar. After our 10 year reunion a couple weekends ago, I have been thinking about her. I can still hear Lesley's raucous laugh and remember her sly, cutting wit.

I wish I could catch up with her...

Christopher

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home