The Neurotic Monkey's Guide to Survival

"These STILL aren't my pants!"

Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Suspense is Killing Me....I hope it lasts.

Some lil tidbits:

--What the Fuck? It's been reported here that Dave Chapelle has now entered a psychiatric hospital in South Africa. First of all, WHAAAAAAAA? Secondly, South Africa, Dave? Really? Apparently, Dave has been undergoing a lot of changes recently: first converting to Muslim, then getting $50 Million from Comedy Central, and now he's crazy in South Africa. Luckily, I do have some sources in that part o the world (Afrika Bambaata & Panthro, I'm lookin at y'all -- crack this case!), so mayhaps we'll get some answers.

--No, Seriously: WHAT THE FUCK? Carnivale has been cancelled. The weird lil show that couldn't now definitely can't. What sucks is that it was only one third of the way through with its entire story arc. It will be missed; if only cuz that adorable clubfooted dwarf needs work. He talks backwards, people! And carries a Sword Cane! A SWORD CANE! You know you all want one -- well he's got one, dammit. Oh well. Maybe some Carny nerds can rally behind this and get HBO to make a couple of movies out of the last two thirds. Kinda like what the Firefly dweebs did with Serenity.

--SPEAKING OF WHICH...Check out the trailer for Serenity here. It won't even be released until Sept. 30 (happy bday, Camps), but still, that gives y'all plenty of time to go out and check out the DVD set of the entire series (Firefly) that ran on Fox. It was a funny, sexy, cool action Sci-Fi western show from the plump mind and body of Joss Whedon. And now it looks like it's a funny, sexy, cool, action Sci-Fi western movie from the plump mind and body of Joss Whedon.

--Take That, Childhood! This lil site shows a bunch of alternative and hilarious covers for some Choose Your Adventure books that might've been. It has also sparked my interest in collecting every Choose Your Own Adventure book ever made, and then writing my own for the College Grad (The Mystery of Who Ate My Ham Sandwich!*).

--STOP READING THIS! And go check out Takashi Miike's Audition. I've recommended it before, but seriously people -- go see this movie. It's preferable if you don't read anything about it, don't even know what it's about, or what section of the video store you would find it in. All you need to know is that it's Japanese (w/English Subtitles), not for children, and deals with the battle of the sexes in a very new and interesting light. The DVD is no longer in print for sale (a new edition is coming out in August), but you can rent it from Netflix & Blockbuster. Wow. That's all I can say about this movie. Well, that and "Deeper, Deeper..."

--WHAT'S GOING INTO MY EARS! The Kinks, The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society; The Mars Volta, Francis the Mute; Home Movies soundtrack; Guided by Voices, Bee Thousand; Bloc Party, Silent Alarm; 13 & God, 13 & God; The Arcade Fire live bootlegs; Todd Barry, Medium Energy; Talking Heads, Fear of Music; Talking Heads, Remain in the Light.

--WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN AT? The season finale of Project: Greenlight tonight, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Cheap Seats, PTI, Audition, Dead or Alive, Ichi the Killer, The Bob Newhart Show, and all of the other shiite I always watch (Vaya con Dios, Brad. You will forever be remembered as a Despiser of Wedgies). Also -- am I the only one that thinks Jet Li's new film Unleashed might actually be a good movie? I mean, it won't be; but I'm so tempted.

--WHO DO YOU WANT TO PUNCH THIS WEEK? Refs of the Celtics/Pacers series, George Lucas (Appearing on The OC, Lucas? Are you fuckin with me?), John Bolton's Mustache Groomer



Jane Winslett-Richardson: In twelve years, [the baby] will be eleven and a half.
Steve Zissou: That was my favorite age.
--from The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou


PS A special mention for anyone that can tell me where the title of this entry comes from. No Googling or cheating.

*You Know, the One I CLEARLY Labeled with My Name

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I know from personal (yeah that's right) experience that South Africa has a way of releaving all your worries (actually maybe that was the sex...anywho), but come on Dave pull it together. I was honestly signifacantly bummed when I read the article you linked....I don't even need more Chapelle show just come back and be well and maybe go on the Daily Show twice a year

2:16 PM  
Blogger The Neurotic Monkey said...

Personally, I always thought he was funnier on Conan O'Brien. Then again, I'm a tool.

Seriously though, i always thought they made a great odd couple: one of them is a straight laced, pale, catholic, irish boy who went to Harvard. The other is from the streets, angry, dirty, drug using, muslim comic. Hilarity ensues! Throw them in a broken down old car and make them drive across the country to some wedding, and you have yourself a great buddy movie.

Also, Dave converted to ISLAM. Not muslim. I'm an idiot who clearly shows no respect for the great and reverent Nation of Islam. I'm sorry, Terrorists.

I'm just keeding!

And whatever happened to Wilford Brimley?

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On an almost completely tangential note, I was reading Peter Travers’ (from Rolling Stone) review of Episode III, and I could not help but think that perhaps our revered host of this particular blog may be ghost writing for the critic. So bitingly sarcastic, so bitterly nerdy, and so completely and totally dead on about exactly what the movie means to American cinema and pop culture. (Well, at least from the point of view of this nerd-wannabe.) In his closing sentence: “To paraphrase Padme: This is how truth dies -- to thunderous applause.”

That being said, I would like to hear what Neurotic Monkey has to say about Travers’ assessment.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/_/id/6140458?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=double1&rnd=1115992201718&has-player=true&version=6.0.8.1024

9:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dean, I have a question for you, since you've watched a lot more Real World/Road Rules Inferno than I have: What is the deal with Tina? What crawled up her ass and died? Seriously, she's ALWAYS yelling and bitching someone out. even Veronice can pretend to be nice at times, but Tina's lips are always curled in disgust.

The funny thing is, that almost turns me on, seeing how much of a bitch she is, and how much we'd probably hate each other in real life. And this jaded young professional, after a very long day at the office, could go for a nice "hate-fuck". Heyyo!

6:07 PM  
Blogger The Neurotic Monkey said...

Matty H -- thanks for the compliments (i think). I'm not going to read any reviews of Star Wars until after I see it (this includes Kevin Smith, Harry Knowles & Moriarty's reviews on Ain't It Cool News, etc), just so I don't have any expectations one way or the other and so I will avoid spoilers. However, expect a giant nerd rant once i see the movie and compare it with other reviews.


Sidenote: Peter Travers is a great reviewer and one of the few gleaming and solid spots in Rolling Stone. His reviews and The Onion's AV Club are usually the ones that most resemble my own opinion. Go figger. I used to also read and agree with Elvis Mitchell when he worked for NY Times, but he quit and his replacement, Manohla Dargis, is simply horrible. But once I see this movie and come back with my eyes plugged up by tears of joy, sadness, or anger, then i'll check out and comment on Travers's review.


Endless Mike: Oh Tina -- or as I like to call her "Juanita Madden" (Cuz she looks like what would happen if you made John Madden a husky latina, or was that self evident?). What's great is that when she was on Road Rules she was this chick who went on and on about how poor she was and yet she hated dirt and the thought of messing up her nails -- i mean, i know pride in self appearance and poverty aren't mutually exclusive, but i found it an odd mix. But she's just fired up cuz she's the newest recruit to Team Bitch (or as I call them Team VolTRon). It's like D2: Mighty Ducks 2. Remember how the fat black kid that's now on SNL had to prove himself and his knuckle puck were worthy of being on Team USA? Well replace "fat black kid" with "Tina" and "Team USA" with "a group of lipstick lesbian bitches who are all a little too shiny to be human".

As for your feelings towards Tina; godspeed lil man. I mean, if you want a Shelly Long/Ted Danson sorta relationship with the Juggernaut, I say go for it. Of course, it'd be more like George Wendt/Shelly Long in terms of proportions, and you'd be Shelly Long. Personally, none can compare to the shining beacon of hotness that is Jamie. Not even Robin with her overbearing teeters.

And what was the deal with Mighty Ducks 3? Why could they beat the invincible evil that is Iceland but then had trouble taking on some prep school varsity team? And if that Varsity Team was so good, why didn't THEY go to the Junior olympics and kick some icelandic ass? So many questions...

Here's another one: Why is a kid that stars in D2, D3, Heavyweights, and Good Burger now on SNL? The hell is that? It's like when Anthony Michael Hall or Robert Downey Jr. were on. Just surreal.

And what was the deal with

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, on switching computers I find that I cannot read your blog. The print is far too small.

On the plus side, I get to listen to some guy on the phone outside my window give some (rather sensible) reasons not to marry his girlfriend. Everyone's got there drama.

By the way, what's up?

1:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I forget a lot of their names, but you know who was really cute on Inferno? Jodie, the Good Guy who challanged Veronica and made all the Bad Asses freak out. She sucks at wrapping herself up like a mummy though, and with my mummy fetish, that's a real turnoff.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home