The Neurotic Monkey's Guide to Survival

"These STILL aren't my pants!"

Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Madness of King George

God damn it.

I hate myself. I mean, I always hate myself. But now I have a specific reason to truly hate myself.

"I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations - one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it - you will regret both."
-- Soren Kierkegaard

That was my chance, wasn't it? My chance to do what I know is Right...and I just couldn't.

I can think of a billion ways to rationalize my actions. I was polite. I was doing the capital "G" Good thing. I took the high road. I'm not a man prone to violence. But any way you slice it, I failed. I failed you all...and that moment will haunt me for the rest of my days.

God damn it.

****

EARLIER THAT NIGHT

****

I went to the King Kong premiere in NYC. My friend was able to wrangle some tickets to the event, and it was the first High Profile event I've ever attended. I was excited. I love Peter Jackson. I'm not a huge LOTR fan - I loved the movies, but I wasn't the biggest Tolkein nut overall. But what I really love are his earlier films: Meet the Feebles - his perverse take on The Muppet Show complete with sex, drugs, violence, and a Rabbit with a rapidly debilitating STD; I also dearly love Dead Alive - his insane zombie gorefest (complete with a hyperkinetic undead baby, kung fu priest, and some badass usage of a lawnmower); and Heavenly Creatures - Jackson's magical realism tale of a cold blooded murder perpetrated by 2 little girls; and even The Frighteners - yeah it wasn't amazing, and the third act kind of falls apart, but it's still entertaining as all get out. If you haven't seen these movies, check them out forthwith.

So I was very excited to see Jackson's take on his favorite movie. Plus the whole event was going to be huge with celebrities popping up and the possibility of some nice geekout moments for me. We were gonna sit through the 3 hour spectacle and then go down to Pier 92 on the Hudson for the after party.

Firstly, the movie:

You got me, Peter Jackson. Even though there were so many moments where I rolled my eyes and thought "Oh christ, this is lame", I still found myself drawn in, and by the end - I was kinda weepy for the big monkey. The movie is an amazing spectacle, a real event of a film, and even though there are a lot of marks against it - Kong still manages to mesmerize and pull you in with its meaty paws.

The character of Kong is amazing. If King Kong was only CGI rendered, then this is truly great work. Jackson and WETA put so much emotion into those giant eyes, and his little facial movements. It seems as if Jackson put the most thought, direction, emotion, and energy into creating a Kong that we cared about. And he succeeds. Kong seems at once deadly (when he's ripping apart V Rex's or eating crewmen) but also sweet (when he's laughing at Anne's pratfalls or the soon to be famous scene in Central Park). His love for Anne makes sense, and his sense of betrayal at the hands of man rings so true that it makes you feel complicitly guilty to just sit there in the audience while he's captured. In fact, Kong is so well done and has so much energy and pathos that it makes the love triangle horrible uneven. I wanted Ann & Kong's relationship to work a lot more than I wanted Jack & Ann's. So, basically, Jackson has you rooting for disproportionate beastiality. Well played, sir! Anyways - I would recommend the film. The first hour kind of drags, but once they hit Skull Island, everything picks up and moves very swiftly.

Following the film, we exited the theater and boarded buses to take us to the after party. In the interest of full disclosure, one event did occur whilst we were attempting to exit the movie theater - I accidentally hit Anthony Edwards's kid in the back of the head with the revolving door. He seemed fine with it, and maybe it'll teach his father to learn the rest of the lyrics to "Great Balls of Fire!". Anywhoski, we quickly boarded the buses and made our way to the piers where the after party was being held.

We sat around, ate food, got drunk, and gawked at the fact that Anthony Kiedis seemed intent on staying away from the VIP section. Eventually we screwed up the courage to make our way into the VIP section, so my friend could confront her crush Adrien Brody, and so I could see if Sean Astin was there and finally propose to him my idea for The Goonies: The Musical. After a while, saying hi to various folk my friend knows, and getting more drunk, a man started walking over to greet my companion.

A bearded man in his late fifties, short and stocky and with a neck that looks like he's storing a cantaloupe for the winter - I recognized him immediately.

It was George Lucas.

Now, to the uninitiated out there - and it's doubtful that they are any reading this - the original Star Wars trilogy played a large part in my development as a child. I would watch it all the time whenever I was sick, and I was quite a sickly child. Han Solo is still the ultimate icon of being cool and manly; and I think I belong to the ginormous group in my generation who found himself immediately plunged into the strange world of sexuality when greeted by the sight of Leia in the golden bikini. And while I was never an ubernerd with the films - memorizing planets and alien races, secret histories, debating on the merits of a Stormtrooper's helmet that eradicates any peripheral vision - I still hold quite a special and beloved place in my heart for those films.

Then he made the prequels. As Lucas himself admitted on the January 12, 2005 episode of The Charlie Rose Show - the reason he made Episode I was because he needed some money after his divorce. And it shows. In all of them. They were hacky, with no over all arching plot or forethought, horrible characterizations, flat special effects, and even flatter acting. It hurt me in a way that few things have before. It was as if finding out my sister was a double agent working for a rival family to bring us all down. And what was worse is that these films ruin the original trilogy - not just by besmirching the sunny nostalgia I feel for those movies, but also because when future generations watch the Star Wars movies, they will watch them in numerical order - ruining any surprises and making no sense of narrative flow between the two trilogies.

And it didn't have to be that way. The Original Trilogy was such a huge and influential series of films that any screenwriter and director would have given his firstborn just to work on one scene for any of the prequels. But Lucas didn't care about that. He didn't care about creating anything interesting or original or even really entertaining. He wanted to make a quick buck, and knew he could count on the fanboys to pad his bank account. And he doesn't even care about those fanboys, tossing aside their nerdish devotion in favor of just monkeying around with the latest in digital effects. His callousness and refusal to attempt to ellevate the new series not only compounded my hurt over a beloved object of childhood being reduced to trash, but also turned that pain into anger.

It's true - he doesn't owe anything to anybody. No one should or could force him to be loyal to those people who shell out billions of dollars on his films and merchandise and slavishly make him a god in their little convention center walls. But still, just because there's no imperative to please these devotees, he should consider them and actually attempt to make them happy. But in his smug self-assurance he believes that the films he made were great, and looked amazing, and worked on any level outside of CGI advances.

And out of this growing hatred, I swore that George Lucas would be someone that I would debate punching in the face should I ever meet him (also on the list - George W. Bush and Paul WS Anderson). I predicted that should I ever meet the man face to face, I would immediately plunge into an existential debate over whether or not I should just give a quick rap in the face with the ol' Jack Johnson. I'm not a man prone to violence, and yet he is one figure that would merit me to bloody my hands in what could be considered a righteous cause.

And here he was in front of me. Saying hello to my friend, and chatting with her, being an amiable fella.

I stayed my hand and held my tongue. I didn't gush out nerdily praising him, nor did I scream racial epithets at him and make veiled threats to his physical well-being. He and my friend wrapped up their conversation, politely, I nodded a goodbye to him as he walked away.

Then when he was about ten feet away I screamed "YOU RAPED MY CHILDHOOD!" But I don't think anyone really heard me.

I immediately jumped on my cell phone in an attempt to track down advice on how I should address the situation. One of my nerdly friends was asleep, another suggested just to tell him "You Should Be Ashamed, and the last one said that "Whatever I did, just be prepared to run and exit quickly".

In the end - I did nothing. Didn't confront him or even really say anything to him.

My mind was racked over the fact that here was my chance. I could be a hero for the entire Nerd World. A Dorky Martyr who finally stood up to the bullies that shit on what we hold dear. I've run through an amalgam of scenarios in my head before that night, and even moreso after it. Occasionally simply punching him in the face, maybe giving a little bit of a Enigo Montoya speech before hand. "Hello. My name is Robert Dean. You raped my childhood. Prepare to die." Or else just paraphrasing George Costanza's speech to Steinbrenner:

Lucas: Nice to meet you.
ME: Well, I wish I could say the same, but I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine franchise. In the past 30 years you have caused myself, and fellow nerdly folk, a good deal of distress, as we have watched you take our beloved Star Wars and reduce it to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of your massive ego!

But in the end I did nothing. And it's been killing me ever since.

What if that was my one chance? Not just at physically assaulting a millionaire, or starting a fight with 60 year old man, but what if it was my chance to do something Good with my life. To strike a blow for the common nerd?

I had to choose between doing what was Good and what was Right. The Right thing to do is to take Lucas to task for the way he fucked over millions of his faithful flock. The Good thing to do is to not shit on a man who probably isn't nearly as malevolent as I believe him to be.

It would be a story to tell my fellow inmates as I'm anally penetrated in a forceful manner. A news clipping to show my grand kids. A great anecdote to be told at my funeral. And god damn it, it would have felt great.

But I did nothing.

God Damn It.

****

Since then, I've been able to reconcile the entire incident by taking a theoretical approach.

It's the question of what We Can Do versus What We Should Do. It's the question that encapsulates Spiderman and I believe the one most prevalent to our world right now. Peter Parker could become a master thief or some archvillain taking what he wants and using his abilities to do as he pleases. But, as Uncle Ben's posthumous words echo, "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility".

And often times, Power is merely just another word for Opportunity & Ability. The United States has the Opportunity & Ability to invade and attack a bunch of countries (coughcoughIraqcoughcough), but does that mean we should? We have the Opportunity & Ability to indulge in all of our sins to excess, but does that mean we should?

George Lucas had the Opportunity & Ability to make a bunch of new Star Wars movies, does that mean he should? He also had the Opportunity & Ability to make them great, with a whole host of resources at his hands, but does that mean he should?

At the end of the day, I don't know how to reconcile what is Right, What is Good, and What is Possible. It's a hard struggle that most of us tend to lose or simply refuse to engage.

All I know is that I am now haunted by a punch I never threw. And that just sucks.

God Damn It.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure that Georgie Boy heard your outcry. As did anyone else that was in shouting distance. You may not remember this but he turned around looking confused after your outburst and I proceeded to bury my head in my hands...so you can add George Lucas to the list of people you've probably made cry...

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally Jesus has some company on that list!

anyway, deanster, i certainly wouldn't call that a failure. not a complete success, but you certainly shouldn't be disappointed.

i, however, am very disappointed in myself for not thinking of keith's stinkpalm suggestion when you called me that fateful night. again, maybe i'm just a chicken....

CUCKU CUCKU CUCKU CUCKUUU!

12:24 AM  
Blogger The Neurotic Monkey said...

While the list of people I've made cry is long and rather diverse, if Lucas has made it, then I am relieved.

Seriously, I don't know if he did hear me, but if he did...then that's pretty sweeeet. So I can sleep a lil easier.

And yes, Keith is the co-writer and music savant of Goonies: the musical, no credit was being withheld. Sorry, Lil Doughty.

A new item to be added tomorrow night.

Happy Suck Day to Me!

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched three kings today, so this quote is fresh in my head "people do what is most necessary to them at any given moment." i don't know that necessity is the most important thing in life, but then again, i don’t know what is... clearly it wasn't something you had to do at that moment.

I fully believe you will get your chance- and take it when the time is right (dean strikes back, it will be your sequel)

AND you kind of did have a peter parker moment; you showed restraint (for the most part), despite what you could have or should have done to satisfy your own peace of mind. You didn’t do anything to seriously mess up the big event a friend invited you to- you did Right by someone else. So it was more of a noble concession than a failure... how's that for a positive spin?

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I killed them.
I killed them all.
I killed the men.
I killed the women.
I killed the children.
I killed their pets.
I killed the live active cultures in their yoplait."
- scene from episode whatever one this was

1. I find it quite interesting the three people whom you would choose to hit: George W, and two sci-fi directors. You can't think of anyone else you might find more satisfaction in hitting than paul ws anderson? I guess that's awholenother blog entry though. I will take this opportunity to list some people I would enjoy smacking: George W (double tru), Dr. Phil, Bill O'Reilly, the lead singer of Rush, and about 7 people I went to high school with. And people I would like to hug: Wayne Coyne (obvi), Denis Kucinich, Tyra Banks, and Miranda July.

B. A fist is also called a Jack Johnson? How ironical.

iii. I don't know much about nerd culture (I'm cool and popular), but it seems appropriate for you not to be able to resolve your anger towards Lucas. Frustration and disappointment are nerdfuel. Most of the time its because they are too smart to be complacent and too passionate to be easily pleased. So I kind of relish this nerd frustration. Hatred of episodes 1 - 3 has probably brought so many geeks together! Given them purpose! Dispising Lucas is the reason some of them get out of bed each day!

foursie: I thinking shouting at him was actually a great way to solve this problem. Firstly, he heard you, its confirmed. He may have doubts as to whether or not the statement he heard was meant for him, and this doubt would make Lucas uneasy, keep the words playing though his head, create internal conflict, and maybe cause the cognitive dissonance he must have to boil over. Second of all, the pogniancy of that phrase: "you raped my childhood!" is beautiful. Its like poetry. The guy has probably heard "you suck!" or "espisode 2 blows!" a million times. "You raped my childhood!"? Now thats memorable and orginal!

this foolish man
Lucas raped my childhood
Are you happy now?

V: One of my favorite parts of your reborn blog are Drew/AD's clucking. Brings joy to my soul.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home