The Neurotic Monkey's Guide to Survival

"These STILL aren't my pants!"

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Lowered Expectations

In approximately 14.5 hours I will be sitting in a dark theater surounded by my fellow nerd brethren watching Episode III as it is unveiled at a Midnight screening. Most reviews thus far have been very favorable. Unfortunately that doesn't mean anything to me nor does it portend either a good or bad movie. The only way I can ensure that the latest Star Wars will be any good (or even salvageable) is to keep my expectations low. Very low, in fact. The other two movies in the prequel trilogy were not just bad entries in the canon of Nerd lore but also just bad movies that were barely entertaining on any level. And yet, every time I see a trailer for a Star Wars movie, my heart does soar a bit -- mainly because those trailers are cut so well that each movie promises to be the zenith of cinema as we know it. So I let myself get a lil excited, telling myself (after the assraping of Phantom Menace) that it's not going to be any good so don't expect it to be -- and sure enough what little hope and happiness was reserved for these films are quickly dashed upon the rocks of mediocrity and disappointment. So now I approach this third and (supposedly) final film with the lowest of expectations -- even with the critics' applause ringing in the back of my head. I merely ignore that and assume it will be another subpar evening spent with people who join me in hoping for something great but will also leave the theater feeling crestfallen and used (except for that kid who dressed up like Boba Fett -- he just feels stupid).

But this trend of lowering my expectations to enjoy a particular product isn't restricted to all things Lucas. This extends beyond a galaxy far far away to TV shows I enjoy, new books by authors I like, new albums from favorite bands, and even social outings with my friends. In order to truly enjoy something I have to downplay any hint of greatness that may occur and accept that it will, in all probability, be kinda lame.

The truth is, I'm sick of it.

I'm sick of wanting something great, but not even letting myself want it. I'm sick of being used to disappointment -- what the hell is that? Why is that such a pervading force in our lives? Our parents tell us "Life isn't fair" and we all accept that most people in this world won't get what they want (unless they're beautiful, rich, or some combination of the two). As soon as I discover some new opportunity, I get excited by it but ultimately that excitement is corraled by the knowledge that it's not going to happen for me. Maybe that makes me a pessimist. But more often than not it's not my pessimism that makes me glum, it's my idealism.

It's the fact that at the Age of 23 I still think there's an adventure around the bend. That I can still find that Fantasy Woman and fall perfectly in love with her forever and ever. That wonder and miracles and all that other stupid cliched bright eyed bullshit still exists. I want to believe in Booby Traps, Treasure Maps, Mad Scientists, Super powers, Secret Governments, Lost Cities, Aliens, Destiny, Hidden Monsters, Prankster Gods, and Love at First Sight. It's lame and it's stupid and it's pretty pathetic -- but I want all that.

I want to step foot on another planet before I die, or enter another realm of existence without the assistance of drugs, or become part of a arcane myth, or have some pursuit that can be described as "Death Defying" and "Impossible".

But as I get older, I realize that the possibility for such things are incredibly small. Infinitesimal, even. Impossible, really. So I dim that light of hope a little more with each passing day and every year it fades away a little bit. Disappointment is the norm for someone that dreams big and expects the best out of this world.

It's enough to turn a man bitter and misanthropic.

But I'm not bitter or misanthropic. Well, not that much. Not yet. I just don't let myself get excited for the new Flaming Lips album, or the next season of Lost, or Palahniuk's new book -- cuz if I do, it's going to be horrible.

Part of that reasoning is the whole "Victim of High Expectations" thing where if you expect the impossible from a person or a group of people -- to replicate and exceed levels of greatness that most people never achieve once in their lifetime let alone multiple times -- they're bound to fail you. The other part is a slight touch of Magical Thinking. Magical Thinking, as I learned from Augusten Burroughs's book of the same name, is a schizotypal personality disorder attributing to one's own actions something that had nothing to do with him or her and thus assuming that one has a greater influence over events than is actually the case. For example, If I get excited about a particular movie THEN that movie will suck. So instead I have to live in this apathetic muted happiness limbo waiting to allow myself to actually enjoy something.

Is this the norm? Not the Magical Thinking part; that's just me being a total psycho. But the rest of it -- is it the norm that we all either accept the mediocre or anticipate disappointment? Do others feel this way? I can say I know a few who share in my blase-by-proxy worldview. And it's usually a reluctant subscription to this ethos. My fellow jaded friends all wanted something great and grand and exciting and impossible; but instead we found cubicles, and deadlines, and heartbreak, and mediocrity.

But I don't think this is relegated to just my band of UnMerry Men. Look at the rest of the world: We accept our crappy and partisan government; we accept wars done not in our name; we accept crappy output of so called artists; we accept lies and cheats and scandals; we accept that the only people who are getting outraged tend to be the wrong people, and the world bows to them yet we do nothing to retaliate; we accept taxes, and pollution, and talentless celebrities; we accept genocide, and tax fraud, and diseases; we accept our world being taken away from us; we accept Companies rising in power and merely shrug. The Constant Shrug. "What you gonna do about it?"

We accept so much, and we allow ourselves to be disappointed time and again. Why can't we demand better? What can't we be unreasonable? Since when do reason and hope share the same bed let alone the same sentiment? Why can't we go out and find adventures and laughs and friends and romance and a nemesis or two? Why must we always resign ourselves to the rules of a game we inherited?

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm the only one who must lower expectations to enjoy something. And maybe it's just that I set the bar too high, unrealistically in fact, and I should knock it down a few pegs. Maybe Episode III will be great and I can think that going into the theater.

Nevertheless, every morning I wake up and walk out the front door, still hoping to suddenly find myself enlisted in some insane and epic campaign that promises danger, love, intrigue, and the impossible.

Then again "Adventure, excitement..A Jedi craves not these things."

At the end of the day, I'm still just a nerd who wants a lightsaber.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'll have you know, good sir, that I ran into one Stephen DeVellis coming home from work Monday night. Stevie D lives! That should cheer you up.

Regarding a nemesis: yeah, I want one too, but I just can't be stopped by mere mortals.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered when I left college and began working in the office world of cubicles, 40 year old secretaries, and depressed office bitches that perhaps the dreams of something abnormal, incredible, different - were all just things I had concocted partly from my mother's insistence that I was special (yes in both kinds of ways), and partly from my own aspirations. But really, in having worked for two years in offices, I realize that I am meant for something different. Whether it ends up being spectacular or amazing I don't know - but it will be different, and it will be an adventure if for no other reason then I don't know what's coming next. And perhaps this is only how I will feel now - having the independence and freedom to have so many choices to make. But still, I think if you lose a sense of adventure you lose the will to live the different life, and then you end up like John, the depressing and lifeless cog in that law firm machine, refusing to actually productively socially interact with anyone, and draining your soul out through your pores when he is forced to speak with you.



Don't end up like John. Don't even think too much about John. Simply seeing John made me realize if I have to, I will claw my way into adventure rather than sit back and let life slap me in the face*.



So yes, I think you should expect adventure and not tone it down; I don't think you should declare it will happen, but I don't think you should decrease its chances by insisting the odds are stacked way against you. So? Fuck that. Do what you want, want what you want, and go for it. If you want Star Wars to kick ass, walk in thinking it has a good chance of kicking ass, and settle into your seat with those excited tinglings and give it the chance to happen.



I wouldn't say I'm an optimist – but I don't like thinking the worst all the time. It's exhausting, depressing, and in the end just gives you a low level of feeling for everything. You never hope, you never get excited – you always curb your feelings and keep them all neatly penned in and at a certain level. I don't go nuts – but I do allow myself to get excited and feel hopeful, even if it doesn't work out my way. The fun of feeling the excitement was worth it. And even if, in the back of my mind, I know it won't work out my way, it's still nice to enjoy that feeling that the tempered excitement brings, that sweet calm level of possibility, that sets me at ease and lets me approach life for that day or that week with a relaxed comfort that instills confidence in myself and my ability to adapt.



* This was said to me during a discussion from my superior that I "seemed bored at work." I explained that my job was not all they said it would be, that it was boring, and that as I looked around the office, it had no possibility of excitement. "How could one enjoy a job like that?" I said. "I know when you got out of college you had dreams and aspirations, but this is life slapping you in the face. All jobs are like this." How stupid.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey
I think that those of us who constantly find disappointed in the things we anticipate are in a way, blessed. We are intellegent enough, and creative enough to realize that there is more out there...that things could be better. We may not have the power or know-how or connections to change anything about it, but wanting better is not a curse. Contentment breeds conformity and decay. Would you rather be content with subpar prequils and dead-end office work? Do you want to settle for a boy/girl friend or even husband/wife you aren't madly in love with?
I know a lot of your gripe is questioning why must everything be so mediocre? But there are plenty of individuals who enjoy what you find to be lacking in the face of potential greatness. A nation of zombies going with the flow, under the leadership of a monkey man (no offense).
Everything in life is obviously not going to go as you dream it to, or even realistically expect it to. But don't expect to be disappointed all the time! It's called a self-fulfilling prophecy people. For everything film, album, person who fails to reach the glory you had hoped, there is another which/whom you had no expectation at all - and blew you away.
If you are stuck in an entry level job you hate in a field you have no passion for - well, at least you're getting paid. Make your life outside of your job as great as possible...stick it out if you need the cash, or until you can make the moves you necessary to work towards your dreams.

speaking of such,its time for me to get back to work - but I actually like my job ;)

Keep dreaming my loves!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home