The Neurotic Monkey's Guide to Survival

"These STILL aren't my pants!"

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I Guess It's Just Not Our Time...Yet

Some news from www.ign.com that's very close to my heart. In an interview with director Richard Donner, here's what he had to say about Goonies 2:



IGNFF: A Goonies sequel has been discussed for years. I know you've gotten this question a million ways over the years, but the fans just want to know if there is still any hope. Do you think it could ever happen?

DONNER: We tried. No, I don't think so. We tried really hard. Steven and I, we pitched a couple of things to them and, quite honestly, they weren't right. And we put it aside. If I could ever find a really good handle on a screenplay for it, I'd go pitch it again, because talking about [something] I'd want to see… It's extraordinary. But it's got to be right, or don't do it, because I couldn't believe that movie. It's done to generations of kids what it's done.


IGNFF: I've shown Goonies to young kids recently, around 7 and 8 years old and they loved it. They watched it and were totally enraptured. They kept the DVD and watched it over and over.

DONNER: Awww.

IGNFF: Now they love to quote Chunk.

DONNER: You know, I still stay in touch with these kids. Chunk's a lawyer and he's great. Cory, he's doing great. He went through some s***, but he's really pulled himself out and he's clean and married and has a baby and he's the happiest kid. They're all good, they're all great. I love that movie. That's probably my favorite process of filmmaking in my life. I've fallen in love with all those kids. I was lucky because I never had kids. I never wanted kids. I wanted dogs. If I could come up with a really great concept, I would take it to Steven. And if it was really right, he'd know it too. Maybe one day Chris Columbus will write it for us and we'll get back to the old group.

***

Chunk's a lawyer? And Donner still calls him Chunk? Huh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be patient little Monkey, you and Keith will one day get your chance to bless the world with Goonies: The musical. When I think of all the nerdster hearts you'll fill with joy... the mind reels really...

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IGNFF: ...Do you think it could ever happen?

DONNER: It seems like all the good we tried to do
falls apart without much fanfare.

IGNFF: Still we kept wishing on falling stars. It did no good.

DONNER: There’s not much hope here.

IGNIFF: It's our own fault for thinking coins were dreams.

DONNER: How could I know?

IGNIFF: You should have told me.

DONNER: Life ain't no wishing well. There's no way you can tell where these paths will lead us.



ps. haha! you know EVERYONE still calls him Chunk.

"Thanks again for helping me with my divorce Chunk"

"For Chrissakes, I told you, my name is Jeff Cohen. Stop calling me Chunk"

"Whatever, Chunk"

"I'm a succesful lawyer! I'm rich! I can sue your ass!"

"Right, thanks again Chunk. See you later."

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home